Here is how I usually choose a book to read.....
* I try stay away from anything political, depressing, scary or disturbing (because if i want to fill my head with negativity & politics i'll just read the news).
* I often go for fiction novels that contain a dash of romance and/or a touch of magic (or a bit of the supernatural) in them. I think reading is suppose to to be a kind of "escape" from reality.
Note: Occassionally I do notice an autobiography or biography about a person I deeply admire and then I have to read it (but this doesn't happen too often)
* Sometimes I am swayed by book covers (i know, i know, never judge a book by its cover...blah blah blah) but don't you think sometimes a good cover can change the way you look at some books?
* I stick to authors that I know and love. I always read everything I can find by authors I love. Only problem is that sometimes I read faster than they can write books (how selfish of them *winks*)
* I should also admit that I like to read what I wish I had written or what I feel is closest to my own writing style .
* oh and of course...another great way to pick a book to read is to start a book blog where you have to make a book list every 2 months - really helps me find some new books to try *winks*
How do you pick your books to read?
What type of books do you like to read?